Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Who is your Hero?


                                    

     There has been a lot of talk lately about the Lance Armstrong fiasco.  Although I am sure it will  blow over just like the Tiger Woods, Kobe Bryant and Brett Favre scandals eventually did.  Recently,while in the Bay Area I saw the headline of one of the major newspapers front page with the words “LIAR AND CHEAT” over Armstrong’s’ picture.  I listened to the news reporters on both the T.V. and radio vehemently denounce him.  I was struck at how quickly we turn on those whom WE have placed on pedestals in the first place.  I am not defending any of these people and I am very disappointed in each of them, but they are not nor were they ever someone I saw as a hero.

     I am a HUGE football fan myself.  I absolutely love watching my 49ers play and I can be very passionate about the game and the players.  I love watching talented players make great plays.  I love it even more when after the game they are humble and have kind words about the other players and the coaches.  But they are not my hero's. I would LOVE to meet former NFL Coach and turducken eating (A Turkey stuffed with a duck stuffed with a chicken) John Madden.  I think he is funny and smart and it would be so COOL to hang out with him and watch a football game.  But John is not one of my heroes. 

     I only have a few mortals that come to mind that I consider heroes.  Someone like Jimmy Carter who (Politics aside) has dedicated his life to peace negotiations, eradication of disease and helped to found Habitat for Humanity.  I don't have to agree with everything he has ever said or done, but I  admire his heart and genuine desire to help people.  Someone like Mother Teresa who's service to the poor and lost could fill the rest of this blog and more.

  I am blessed to be able to hang out with my true Hero's,  my children.  Each one of them has overcome a significant challenge or taken a chance in ways that I don't think I could have at their age.   Our son Austin will perform in "A Midsummer Night's Dream"  at his high school this week.  He will be playing one of the lead characters.  I think it is admirable for a shy teenager to get up and take that risk.  Let's face it, many adults don't have the guts to do something like that.  But for a kid with Tourettes Syndrome to do it?  Well, that is just amazing to me. 

    I have often tried to put myself in Austin's shoes.  I don’t believe I would have handled having Tourettes as well as he has.  Austin continues to move forward in school, he is  a part of Young Life and now, performing in his second play.  He has never used his “disability” as an excuse to hold him back. 

     When I think of all the small things I have let hold me back in life, the chances I have not taken for fear of ridicule,  I am in awe of my son.  He has taught me more than most adults and shown more courage and determination than any sports figure or celebrity I have seen. 

         I will continue to admire the sports players and celebrities that I enjoy watching.  I may get even mad or disappointed when they fall from grace.  But, I hope I never put any of them on  a pedestal that I have created and then let it take so much of my precious time or thoughts when they do fall.  Because we are all human, and we will all make mistakes and fall from grace. 
     In the meantime, my true heroes I keep close to my heart.  The ones I see moving forward and taking chances.  People like my son Austin, who has already taught me many things.  I can't wait to see what else I can learn from him. 


No comments:

Post a Comment