Friday, January 18, 2013

Can't Buy Happiness?


     The other day, I was in the drive through at Starbucks getting some much needed caffeine for my 6 hour drive to the Bay Area.  I paid for my drink, got my change and waited for my drink to arrive.  Then, I thought about something my friend Jennifer Tolley had told me the week prior.  Recently she had gone through the Starbucks drive through and someone ahead of her had paid for her drink.  So, that is what I decided to do.  

     I gave the girl $5.00 and asked her to please pay for the next persons drink and if there was any money left over to put it in the tip jar.  She was more than happy to do that.  In fact she told me “I love it when this happens.  Sometimes we can get quite a stream of this going.”  She thanked me, and once I had my drink in my hand I was on my way.

    Here is the best part though.  I left with a huge smile on my face.  I couldn't stop smiling!  There was no one behind me in line when I did this, so every person I saw pull into the parking lot on my way out, I thought “Maybe it’s you!”   As I pulled around the corner I saw the next person in line in the drive through.  I got even more excited.  I imagined how happy and surprised she might be, how it could really make her day.  Maybe she would go back to work and be especially nice to her clients or co workers.  Maybe she would pay for the next person and the feeling would continue.  I was getting more excited by the second!

   I spent $5.00.  Just five dollars and that gave me quite a bit of happiness!  Now, let me get something straight; I did this for me.  I love the feeling I get when I help someone.  I love to day dream about the possible impact I might have on someone else’s life.  It is not because I am some fabulous unselfish person.  That is my pay off.  My internal cash register is set for certain pay off’s and this is one of them.  J

   As I was writing this blog, it occurred to me that the young lady in the drive through window was most likely impacted as well.  Maybe she would be in a better mood or have a better day because of this five dollar investment. 

     I guess my point is, I want you to be a little selfish today.  Do something for someone else because it makes you feel good!  It does not have to involve money.  You could compliment someone on their hair, clothes, purse or children.  Maybe you could let someone go in front of you when waiting in line.  What ever it is, I hope it makes you feel good.  I hope it puts a smile on your face and makes your day better.  I am going to imagine that you are out there right now, doing something fabulous.  My internal cash register will be cha chinging all day.  Totally worth the five bucks!    
























No comments:

Post a Comment