Monday, July 7, 2014

Waiting on Perfection



 I can't do that....I am not skinny enough yet. I can't teach that class, I don't 
know absolutely everything. I can't post that...my grammar is not always 
perfect. These are the things that run through my head.....constantly. 

 The things I let my inner critic hold me back from is sometimes mind 
boggling. The amount of weight I give to what other people think and what 
they say about what I do, is even more mind boggling. 

 I have avoided (and probably will continue to avoid) being in videos, 
pictures and television commercials because I don't like the way I look. I 
have turned down opportunities to teach classes and take on clients until I 
am so over loaded with information that I could almost start a new business 
just on that subject. I am an over learner, which at times can come in handy. 
However, in the meantime I am depriving others of information that could 
help them while I am waiting on perfection. 

 I have avoided posting things on facebook and writing blogs because my 
grammar, no matter how hard I try, never seems to be perfect enough for 
what I call the grammar police. 

 So, here are my choices. Curl up in the fetal position and sink into 
obscurity (my first and most comfortable inclination) or continue to try and 
push myself to do the things that make me uncomfortable. I can continue 
to let shame run who I am or I can continue to be my imperfect, flawed but 
worthy of love and respect self. 

 This was a big vulnerable blog for me. I hope, that with my stepping out 
it encourages someone else who needs to hear this message. What you have 
to contribute could be the one thing that could change someones business, 
relationship or life. 

Waiting on perfection is a losing battle.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out 
how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds 
could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man 
who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and 
sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes 
short again and again, because there is no effort without 
error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the 
deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; 
who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows 
in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the 
worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that 
his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who 
neither know victory nor defeat"

Theodore Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment